Tasty Little (Side) Dish: Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad

 Let's talk about the state of my fridge, specifically, my crisper drawers:  it's the site where good intentions go to die, okay?  Well, at least, that seemed to be the case late yesterday afternoon.  Nothing (okay, SOME things) had escalated to 'inedible' status, but some of my perishables still stood a chance, but needed swift, decisive action.  I did the math and there was NO WAY I'd be able to consume everything before things started getting weird.  Or was there?  

Here's what I pulled from the depths of the fridge:

-a bag of mixed steam-ready veggies (specifically, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots)

-a piece of Granny Smith apple that miraculously hadn't turned brown (thanks, lemon juice!)

-leftover chopped celery and onion that I was going to use, but clearly hadn't gotten around to

-4 slices of bacon

-a piece of a bag of slivered almonds

Those other poor items that weren't so lucky?  Let's just trust the science and call them antibiotics.   

Moving on.  I had put a pork loin in the slow cooker that morning (more on that in a future story) so I had barbecue on the brain.  Hubs was getting a can of Bush's baked beans and some Jiffy cornbread (swoon) with his pork, but I was missing a coleslaw element:  a little tangy, a little sweet, a little crunchy....AHA!

I went to work chopping up the broccoli and cauliflower florets, the carrots, and the apple into bite-sized pieces while I fried the bacon.  As I wiped away the drool from the bacon aromas, I added the diced celery and onion (have I mentioned that I am REALLY GOOD at multi-tasking?) and the almonds.  I also found a piece of a container of crumbled blue cheese and threw that in (but sharp cheddar or feta would be killer, too!) along with a handful of craisins.  Once the bacon cooled, I chopped it up and tossed it in the bowl (without even eating any of it first!  What if that had been my last meal?  My kitchen would get seriously haunted).

Next, I mixed up about 2 tablespoons each of mayonnaise, sour cream (Greek yogurt would work great, too!), and sugar and whisked in about 1/4 c. of white wine vinegar and added a little salt and pepper.  I poured the dressing over the salad in small amounts, stirring with each addition until I had the consistency I wanted.  This concoction would make a great potluck dish: because the veggies are raw, you can even make it a day ahead and it won't get mushy!    


I gotta tell you, I've never felt more rewarded for cleaning out the fridge--it almost feels wrong and that I don't deserve to have such a delicious result.  I said ALMOST.  

Take the "clean out the crisper drawer" challenge and let me know how it goes!

Until next time,

-Jodi Lynn

Comments